Sunday, October 19, 2008

Response to a comment by reader JE

JE posts:
Thanks for the eye opener. In an election where the decision for whom to vote is a mysterious quandry, you answere some serious questions in my mind.
Now, what do you think of Colin Powell's backing of Obama? I just know you have an opinion on that one. For me it seems like a stamp of approval since Powell is my "idol" and has been for several years.
JE

And Attila prattles:

Powell's endorsement was no surprise. Neither was Rush's claim that it was racial. Guess Rush didn't hear about the other former Secs of State for Obama. The pundits of hate have to pull the usual knee-jerk racist scapegoat trick; they got nuttin else.

Powell, hmm, mixed fellings about the chap. Good soldier and all, but he was too good about helping brass cover ass re behavior in 'Nam and one Lt. had to be the scapegoat for a whole lotta bad, from what I have heard from many vets (and the pictures several shared with me to back up their claims of the evils of war).

I do think Powell did try to dissuade the malAdministration from the invasion of Iraq. But he was just too naive. Thought all played by the same rules. He just didn't understand how evil some can be. Once they 'made the decision' good soldier Powell marched to the UN and tried to sell the decision.

He is a sadder, and much wiser man now. And he knows, along with so many other brilliant servants of this nation, that we cannot afford any more years of bad governance. He knows what is on the line, and he knows much more about it than you and I.

Glad for his endorsement of Obama. It will give permission for many more strong voices from what used to be the 'loyal opposition'. I welcome more voices from the old GOP. I know they love America just as much as I do, though our priorities vary. I hope Powell will inspire them to wrest control of their party from the corporate cannibals who have used and abused church congregations, wedge issues, diversions, and the truth to stay in power and steal from America.

And I hope the Grand Old Party takes Newt and all his adherents out to the woodshed, spanks their asses so hard they will NEVER be able to sit on a government chair again, and then dig in to help us clean up the mess the neo-con wastrels have left us.

America is too important to be given over to vile men for lack of energy to fight them. I am damned glad Powell has fallen out of lock-step with the neo-con ranks. I am damned glad he has joined the effort to restore this nation to greatness by pointing out the reasons Obama will be a more deserving, better serving, wiser leader for those efforts.

We The People are the only salvation for this great nation. It has always been so. Obama can inspire us toward that enormous and sacred work. Powell made the case brilliantly.

Soldier Powell has learned the lesson that sometimes, you have to say 'NO!' to immoral orders, buck the chain of command, and stand for what is right. He has made that point most eloquently.

I hope a lot of my old vet friends welcome him into the fold of those who truly know the cost of war and work toward justice as a better means or winning peace. He may now be deserving of their noble companionship.

JE, I have always had mixed feelings about Powell. He was never a hero to many of my vet friends, so I could not muster much love for him beyond respect for his obvious talents, efforts, and service. But he has shown great courage of late. He has given a lesson to others in the GOP that there comes a time to take a stand for what is best for the nation. He has finally found his own voice. With that, should come redemption. Honest efforts should be rewarded with honest admiration and affection.

I hope a lot of old warriors nod to Powell, that he finds redemption for past errors in their acceptance. I pray many shades will lend him courage for the coming years, that he may continue to help America regain its place as a good and just nation.

Oh, and vote for Obama! Colin Powell has been up close and personal with what bad leaders look like. With his experience, his support for Obama is pretty heavy.

No comments: